Because of My Mother...

On this Mother's Day I am sharing the gifts my mother bestowed upon me; courage and wisdom. She encouraged me to embrace individuality and speak my truth. When I was younger I spent many years fighting against the wisdom she passed on to me and thought perhaps in time she would be proved wrong, but she never was. 

She was a beautiful woman with a regal personality. Her looks and mannerism was as if you mathematically could add Elizabeth Taylor to Nancy Wilson to Halle Berry, it would equal…

Catherine Elizabeth Celestine-Powell 

My mother was an only child. She was my best friend and I am her first child and only daughter out of five children. She passed in 1997 at the age of 56 years young. Every year since I have avoided honoring her because of the painful loss, but this year is different. I finally realize it is because of her that I do the things that I do. 

She opened the world to me, even at times when she was afraid. She encouraged me to laugh and have a great time. She warned me of the issues. She taught me to not be inhibited to anything or anyone. 
She believed life is meant to be lived beautifully and for everyone, respect must be earned. 
She loved history and literature. She had impeccable taste. She was honest. She was fun.

Because of my mother I love life, my family and my friends!

(this photo was taken the month before we moved to Turkey ~ in the late 1960s)

Happy Mother's Day Mommy ~ I love and miss you still

Happy Mother's Day to all the wonderful women out there who share their life and love as a mother!




0 comments:

Post a Comment